Mobile County Treasury Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance (TERA)
Please apply online. The Rental Assistance Portal takes you step-by-step through the application so that assistance may be provided to all eligible renters in the fastest way possible. If you need assistance with completing an application, call 855-209-4970.
Our Call Center is open:
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST – Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST – Saturday
Renters: Are you facing financial hardship from a COVID-19 related job or income loss? Are you behind on rent or utilities and risking eviction?
Landlords: Are your tenants behind on their rent?
The Mobile County Commission (County) may be able to help. The County was awarded $12,376,572 in U.S. Treasury funding for Emergency Rental Assistance (TERA) through the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (CAA) to provide income-qualified, COVID-impacted households with resources for rental, utility, and home energy costs (e.g., LP gas).
The County is accepting online applications and has a centralized call center. Several local nonprofits are also being engaged to assist the County with applications and application processing. Renters, as well as landlords on behalf of renters, may apply for assistance. Eligibility requirements must be met and not all households will qualify.
Eligible Rent and Utility Costs
- Up to 12 months of past due rent starting from March 13, 2020 to present;
- Current and up to 3 months of future rent (noting priority for past due rent);
- Past due and current utility and energy expenses to include electricity, gas, water and sewer, trash removal, and energy costs such as LP gas.
While assistance may be provided for up to 15 months, assistance for expected rent will be for no more than 3 months at a time. Applicants must reapply every 3 months and will be assisted only if funds are available.
Renter Eligibility Requirements
- Must reside and be obligated to pay rent on a residential dwelling unit within Mobile County, Alabama. This includes all the municipalities within the County and the unincorporated areas of Mobile County.
- One or more individuals in the household, due to COVID-19:
- Qualify for unemployment, or
- Have experienced a reduction in household income, or
- Incurred significant costs, or
- Experienced a financial hardship.
- Household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability by providing an eviction notice or past-due utility or rent notice.
- Applicant has a household income at or below 80% AMI.
Based on the number of members in your household (including yourself), your household income for 2020, or your estimated income for 2021, must be at or below the level shown in the chart.
|80% Income Threshold Requirements|
|Number of Persons in Household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
Please note that both the tenant and the landlord, if the landlord applies on behalf of the tenant, will need to create an account on the website, complete and submit an application. When you register at https://www.mobilecountyal.gov/grants/rental-and-utility-assistance/ and create your account, an email will be sent providing you with the link to the application.
What To Expect:
- Households applying directly can anticipate the following:
- You will be prompted for copies of various documentation.
- The system will require information from your landlord:
- Let your landlord know you are applying for assistance and that they will need to sign off on the application; or
- You can ask your landlord to apply on your behalf using the LANDLORD application, noting that you will still have to provide additional information to support income and COVID-related financial hardship.
- For landlords applying for rent on behalf of tenants:
- The tenant will need to provide eligibility documents and must sign the application.
- All payments will be made directly to the landlord and/or utility provider, or where efforts to secure cooperation by such have been exhausted, directly to the household.
- All payments must be used to satisfy the tenant’s rental and/or utility obligations.
In This Section