Department of Environmental Enforcement
The primary responsibility of the Mobile County Environmental Enforcement Department is to enforce the Mobile County Junk Control Ordinance and the Alabama State Litter Laws in the unincorporated areas of Mobile County.
Environmental Enforcement responds to citizen complaints that allege a violation of the ordinances, laws and regulations administered by the Department of Environmental Enforcement to determine if a violation has occurred. Environmental Enforcement responds to citizen complaints in a timely manner.
Environmental Enforcement works with schools and community action groups to bring awareness to the health and environmental concerns associated with illegal littering on the County rights of ways, waterways and the accumulation of litter on private properties. Officers are active in attending community meetings to address the concerns of residents about environmental issues and community outreach involving Operation Clean Sweep, Love Your Community and other anti-litter initiatives.
- Environmental Enforcement Officers investigate complaints regarding illegal dumping of junk and garbage on commercial and residential properties.
- The Officers enforce and issue state and civil citations for violating the Mobile County Junk Control Ordinance and Alabama State Litter laws.
- Violations of County and State litter laws can result in prosecution by the District Attorney. It is the job of the Environmental Enforcement Officers to testify in court regarding their findings.
- Environmental Enforcement removes deceased dogs, cats, coyotes, deer and wild game from County rights of way and requests pet owners to be responsible for the removal of their deceased pets or livestock from the rights of way.
- The litter crew uses the mechanical Litter Picker to maintain more than 1,000 miles of County rights of way.
$150.00 per day not to exceed $5,000.00 for one violation
Ordinances and Laws
- Mobile County Junk Control Ordinance
- Mobile County Process and Procedure Ordinance
- Section 13 A-7-29 Criminal Littering