Mortgage and Utility Assistance
Using CDBG-CV funding, the Grants Department recently partnered with Legal Services Alabama (LSA) to provide legal assistance as well as subsistence payments for income-qualified, COVID-impacted households with mortgage/utility payments.
Family income must be at or below 80% AMI.
Must be able to document financial or other hardship due to COVID, such as:
- decrease in income due to loss of employment, business closure, or reduction in hours
- death of a wage earner
- loss or reduction in child support or alimony
- inability to work due to sickness or hospitalization, or other illness/injury which could not be effectively treated due to postponement of treatment/surgery as a result of the COVID pandemic
- other verifiable circumstances/situations, not otherwise listed
Must reside within the Mobile Urban County which includes the City of Bayou La Batre, City of Chickasaw, City of Citronelle, City of Creola, Town of Mount Vernon, City of Prichard, City of Saraland, City of Satsuma, City of Semmes, and the unincorporated areas of Mobile County.
Mortgage assistance is available for a period of up to 6 consecutive months maximum on behalf of eligible homeowner households as follows:
- Up to 100% of past due mortgage payments, including late fees, which were otherwise originally due on or after March 16, 2020, and up to 100% of monthly mortgage payments due during the term of assistance.
- Payments will be made directly to the bank or mortgage company.
- Gross assistance for any participating household will not exceed $10,000.
Utility assistance is available for a period of up to 6 consecutive months maximum, on behalf of eligible homeowners as follows:
- Up to 100% of past due utility payments which were otherwise originally due on or after March 16, 2020 for fuel (e.g. natural gas, propane), electricity, solid waste removal, and/or water/sewer, including late fees.
- Does not include the payment of ongoing monthly utility expenses.
- Payments will be made directly to the utility company.
- Gross assistance for any participating household will not exceed $3,000.
To apply, contact Legal Services Alabama at (866) 456-4995
In This Section