Mobile County Funds Semmes Senior Center Expansion
Posted on: Sep 20th, 2019 | News and Announcements
On September 19, Mobile County Commissioner Connie Hudson, along with community leaders from the City of Semmes, broke ground for the expansion of the Semmes Senior Center. The center is located at 9635 Moffett Road in Semmes.
The Mobile County Commission approved $878,672 to expand the center with funding allocated from Commission District 2 Capital Improvement Funds. The project is expected to be complete by July 2020.
"We realize that seniors are important to our community. This population is steadily growing and Mobile County is helping to accommodate their recreational needs. The expansion of the Semmes Senior Center is meant to enhance the quality of life for our seniors," said Commissioner Hudson.
The project will include:
- An ADA accessible separate building addition of approximately 2600 square feet
- Brick veneer/board & batten siding with a shingle roof
- Door and window awnings
- Interior space to include oversized activity room, men's and women's bathrooms, and space for future full kitchen
- 30 additional parking spaces
- Renovations to main building back porch area to include additional storage space
- Building addition to be connected to the main building by a covered breezeway
History of the Semmes Senior Center:
Originally a residential structure built in the 1950s, it was renovated and completed in 2013 by the Mobile County Commission to serve as the Semmes Senior Center. Refurbishments included eliminating and tearing down walls, ADA upgrades, structural improvements, flooring, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, septic system, added elevator lift, interior furnishings, new parking and a new entrance to the property from Moffett Road. In 2017, upgrades to the center were made to include parking lot lighting and the addition of a garage-type storage building.