CLOSED: Roberts Road Bridge in Chunchula
MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (Monday, Aug. 30, 2021, 10 p.m., Hurricane Ida Update) – The bridge on Roberts Road between Kidd Road and Old Citronelle Road in Chunchula is being closed by Mobile County Department of Public Works because water has risen above the bridge. Barricades and signage are being installed tonight.
The bridge will remain closed until a safety inspection can be completed.
Residents are urged to use caution as more bridges in Mobile County may experience similar conditions due to significant rainfall from the remnants of Hurricane Ida.
Mobile County remains under a National Weather Service Flood Warning until Tuesday morning.
Play it smart. Play it safe. Whether walking or driving - anytime there is water over a roadway TURN AROUND DON’T DROWN™.
Turn Around Don’t Drown™ safety tips from National Weather Service:
- Avoid areas already flooded, especially if the water is flowing fast. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams.
- Road beds may be washed out under flood waters. NEVER drive through flooded roadways – you do not know the condition of the road under the water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and your car can be quickly swept away.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood waters.