Road closures at Escatawpa River in northwest Mobile County: Mason Ferry Road and Earlville Road
MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. – Mobile County Department of Public Works has closed Mason Ferry Road north of Earlville Road at the Escatawpa River bridge and Earlville Road between Mason Ferry Road and Scruggs Road. These are near the Alabama/Mississippi state line northwest of Georgetown in Mobile County Commission District 2.
The Escatawpa River has risen and these areas should be avoided until the water recedes.
Mobile County Public Works continues to evaluate road conditions throughout the County.
Residents are urged to use caution on the roadways as this week’s significant rainfall has affected various local watersheds.
Play it smart. Play it safe. Anytime there is water over a roadway TURN AROUND DON’T DROWN™.
Turn Around Don’t Drown™ safety information from the National Weather Service:
- NEVER drive through flooded roadways – you do not know the condition of the road under the water.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling. Six inches of moving water can make you fall if walking.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and your car can be quickly swept away.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood waters.
Google snip of effected area: