Some Recent Highlights
- EADS Tanker Project - The company is proposing to build the next generation of aerial refueling tankers for the Department of Defense at Mobile's Brookley Field. The contract is valued at $40 billion.
- ThyssenKrupp Steel - Opens a $4.5 billion facility in 2010; anticipating hiring 2,700 employees.
- SSAB Steel: $287 million plant expansion underway in Axis that will create 137 new jobs averaging $90,000 per year.
- Ryla Inc.: Teleservices center in Saraland with 700 employees and goal of 1,200 jobs by December, 2011.
- Austal USA - Recently broke ground on expansion that will increase workforce to more than 2,000. Building state-of-the-art ships for the U.S. Navy, high-speed ferries, and more on the Mobile River.
- Mobile Container Terminal - This $300 million facility opened November 2008 on the Mobile riverfront, home to the nation's 10th largest port.
- Airbus - Already operating an engineering facility at Brookley and considering building commercial jets in Mobile.
- 7,250 new full-time jobs created 2004-2007
What Are They Saying About Mobile County?
- Named #1 Small Metro Area for economic growth by Forbes.com
- Named one of "America's hottest Cities" by Expansion Management magazine
- Named best mid-size U.S. market for starting and growing a business by Entrepreneur Magazine
- Other recent announcements/expansions: Aaron Oil Company, Berg Steel Pipe, Bristow-Krah, Evonik Degussa, Gulf Coast Asphalt, Holcim, Horizon Shipbuilding, International Shipholding, MoBay Storage, Mobile Aerospace Engineering, Silver Ships, Southeastern Builders & Developers