Some Recent Highlights
With domestic and global companies helping us grow, Mobile County has a thriving and diverse economy. Vast arrays of industries - such as Aviation, Chemical, Healthcare, IT/High-Tech, Logistics/Distribution, Maritime, Old & Gas and Steel - are investing in our area. Here are a few of our amazing accomplishments:
- Mobile Aeroplex at Brookley, an expanding aerospace industry hub, captured the global business spotlight when Airbus selected Mobile for its only assembly site in the western hemisphere. Construction is underway on this $600 million project, and the first deliveries are expected in 2016. Industry companies including Airbus, Continental Motors and VT MAE continue to expand local operations.
- Austal USA is Mobile's largest manufacturing employer. The company now has more than 4,200 employees working on military contracts of up to $5.1 billion. Austal will build up to 12 Littoral Combat Ships and 10 Joint High Speed Vessels for the U.S. Navy.
- The $5.2 billion state-of-the-art stainless and carbon steel complex in north Mobile County was one of the largest private investments in U.S. history. The complex consists of AM/NS Calvert and Outokumpu Stainless. The development has spurred more than 300 local supplier jobs by companies doing business with the steel manufacturers.
- The USA Mitchell Cancer Institute is a world-class treatment and research center serving the central Gulf Coast. It is the only Stage II and III cancer center between Houston and Tampa. Providence Hospital's partnership with the M.D. Anderson Physicians Network also connects Mobile with many of the latest cancer treatment options.
What Are They Saying About Mobile County?
- 2015 - fDi magazine ranked Mobile 5th in the Small American Cities of the Future 2015/2016 - Business Friendly
- 2015 - Forbes.com ranked Mobile 1st among Mid-sized Cities for New Manufacturing Growth
- 2015 - CNN Money ranked Mobile 5th nationwide for a "living wage"
- 2015 - nerdwallet ranked Mobile 10th among Top 10 US Cities on the Rise and 11th among Cities with the Fastest Growing Incomes
- 2015 - ZipRecruiter ranked Mobile 19th among Top Southern cities for jobs
- 2014 - MSN ranked Mobile the 10th "hottest" city in America - calling Mobile "the "Southern Trading Hub of the US"
- December 2014 - Recipient of the Bloomberg Philanthropies' Innovation Team Grant
- November 2014 - Business Insider Australia ranked Mobile among the 15 Hottest American Cities for 2015
- November 2014 - Global Trade Magazine named Mobile among America's Best Cities for Global Trade
- June 2014 - Business Facilities ranked Mobile third in its Top 10 US Metro with Highest Economic Development Growth Potential