Tropical Storm Gordon Update #3 - Shelter Openings
September 04, 2018
Mobile County Emergency Management will open a general shelter at Theodore High school at 3 p.m. today for residents of flood prone areas of the county. The American Red Cross will staff the shelter. Residents should bring snack items and bedding.
A Medical Needs Shelter will open at 3 today at Cranford-Burns Middle School in West Mobile (6175 Girby Road) that is operated by the Mobile County Health Department and Family Health, its primary care division.
The Medical Needs Shelter is a shelter of LAST RESORT for patients.
Patients with certain medical conditions will be admitted on a case by case basis. Examples of these conditions include:
1. CPAP, portable ventilators needing power
2. Wound care
3. IV therapy
4. Stable oxygen, nebulizer, or sleep apnea treatment
5. Foley/supra-pubic catheter
6. Functional and access needs patients
7. Wheelchair bound requiring minimal assistance with daily living
**Each patient will be triaged and admitted on a case by case basis.
**Admittance is on a first come first serve basis due to space limitations.
In order to be admitted patients must have the following:
1. A caregiver (MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER) â€“ patients will NOT be admitted without one.
2. Valid ID
3. Medical Supplies and medications for at least 72-96 hours
4. Food if a special diet is needed for at least 72 hours.
5. Water, hygiene supplies, anything needed on a daily basis.
Stay tuned to National Weather Service and local media for the latest conditions. The Mobile County Commission and Mobile County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) will continue to provide updates here.
# # #